If you have a pond on your property, now is the time to prepare for winter. Here is a list of tasks you should be doing to during the fall season.
- Repot overgrown plants.
- Bring in any tropical plants and sensitive fish that cannot survive the cold winter weather.
- Remove all tropical plants, dead foliage, and leaves before cleaning out the pond.
- Vacuum clean the bottom of the pond and clean out.
- Do a good water change and top off the pond as needed.
- Clean out filters as needed and check them each week.
- Slowly stop feeding the fish and do not feed when the water temperature is under 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put up filter systems, pumps, equipment, and ornaments that are not to be used during the winters.
- Cover the pond with leaf net and put out de-icers.
- Check pond daily for dead fish, leaks, overturned pots, or other problems.
Feeling overwhelmed? Perhaps your schedule is a little over full this year. We can help you get your pond ready for winter. Contact Back to Nature Landscaping & Construction at 540-739-3947 to schedule an appointment with our team today.